We are only into our second month of our travel blog, and we received a wonderful message on Facebook from Sarah, a Filipino girl globetrotting the world and learning modern-life survival skills and sharing nothing but good vibes! In her message she nominated us for the Liebster Award! YAY!
Thank you so much for this nomination Sarah, from the travel blog: Life&Travels at 31 and Over, be sure to check her out!
As we are still very new to the whole blogging world, this award has given us a huge step and motivation for the coming months or even years to help improve and create great content for our readers!
So what exactly is a Liebster Award?
To be honest, we have only known about this award for a couple of weeks now. Reading other established blogs we noticed a few had received this award a while back, but having no clue what it was. So we turned to good old Google who has the answer to pretty much everything! All we knew is that we wanted one, and we were going to work until we got one!
So after several searches, we finally understood what is entailed. The Liebster Award is a recognition of bloggers given to other new and upcoming bloggers as a way of welcoming them into the blogosphere. Which is a great and friendly way we think! It has been around for quite a few years now, however it is not an actual award with a committee that nominates you, or where you compete against other blogs, it’s just a fun and creative way to get to know other bloggers.
So I guess you must have figured out whether we have accepted the award or not from Sarah. Of course we did! Accepting the nomination basically means we have won the Liebster Award.
The Rules of the Liebster Award:
- Thank and link to the blogger who nominated you.
- Create a post on your blog, displaying the Liebster Award Logo.
- Answer 11 questions assigned by the blogger who nominated you
- Provide rules/instructions for accepting the award
- Nominate a few new bloggers for the Liebster Award
- Come up with a list of 11 new questions for your nominees
- Let the bloggers know they’ve been nominated so they can continue the chain.
Our Answers to the 11 Questions from Sarah
1. Who is your travel inspiration? Why?
Each other and Google Earth. You’ll find so many amazing places by just zooming into the middle of nowhere and seeing what’s around there. We also love inspirational travel quotes, we really feel they give us inspiration and motivation, one of our favourite quotes is shown above. As our blog basically shows people that you don’t have to be rich or wealthy to travel in luxury or even travel at all, all you need is knowledge and experience!
2. What’s the furthest destination (from home) that you traveled to?
As we are from England and Germany, the furthest in terms of distance is Lord Howe Island off Australia’s east coast, and is one of our favourite destinations we have visited so far! However, the furthest in terms of flight time would have to be the beautiful islands of Fiji.
3. Do you like traveling alone or with a group?
As we are a couple travelling the world, I guess it would be neither. Although, we do LOVE meeting new people along the way when we travel, some of our best friends have been through travelling, and we wouldn’t change that for the world.
4. Have you traveled to a place you couldn’t wait to get out of?
So far, we have been to many amazing countries, that we didn’t want to say goodbye to. We didn’t really dislike any place so much that we wanted to get out of it.
However, a couple of months ago we visited Fiji, and stayed in a wonderful small hotel, literally in the middle of no where surrounded by rainforest. To be fair, this incident was not the hotels fault and it was simply just the beautiful exotic nature that encompassed the hotel. But, on the last night of staying there, a HUGE spider (the size of a dinner plate, not joking), came into our room and ran behind our bed when we were just about to go to sleep. Emma has a huge phobia of spiders, so we knew this was going to be an eventful night. In the end we stayed up the whole night, standing on the sofa screaming whenever the spider scuttled past us or behind the furniture. We checked out at the earliest possible time and couldn’t wait for our upcoming nights at the InterContinental Fiji Resort.
5. Can you give one hidden gem (name of the place and where it can be found) you’ve stumbled into that you would like to share?
Kim’s Lookout on Lord Howe Island, Australia. The trek up to the top is only around 45 minutes and is well worth it once you enjoy the amazing views you get from up there. Make sure to go on a sunny, dry day, because if it’s cloudy you’re unlikely to see the wonderful views from below.
6. What’s the most amazing thing that happened to you while traveling?
I think it would have to be meeting each other on Koh Phangan, Thailand in November 2014. I don’t think anything will top that just yet.
7. How about the scariest thing?
To be honest, we really haven’t had any ‘scary’ moments whilst on the road, we have been really lucky in all the countries we have visited so far. Yannick almost crashed into a cow on a motorbike trip through Cambodia and Emma saw a box jellyfish floating right past her whilst scuba diving in Koh Tao, but other than that, nothing has happened.
8. Can you name a city or country you always find yourself coming back to?
Without a doubt, Thailand and especially the wonderful islands such as Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. Thailand has everything you need: amazing food, friendly locals, beautiful natural sites and cheap everything including flights to and from the country. We LOVE it there.
9. What were/are your travel misconceptions which you have proven wrong – if there are any?
It would have to be that travelling is expensive and only for the wealthy or people who have a trust fund. This is complete bulls***! If you know how to travel cheaply, then honestly anyone can regardless if you’re rich or not. We know travelling isn’t free but thanks to a huge range of websites, apps, and tools, it’s never been easier to make your inexpensive trip happen. Our blog is dedicated helping others travel in luxury but not spending much at all, and that is exactly what we do! Here are some starting points that can help you lower your costs and travel on a budget but still in quite some luxury:
- Save 18% on hotels around the world
- The cheapest pool villas in the world starting at just US$75!
- How to find cheap accommodation
- How to find cheap flights
10. Are you more of a sea or mountain person?
Emma: That is a really tough question, I love both! I am a qualified ski instructor and have done ski racing in the past (captain of my school team), so if its a snowy mountain that I can ski down I would prefer that over the sea. However, I do love tanning and relaxing as well, so if I could say both? I will! 😀
Yannick: I think I’d say mountain person, because there are so many things you can do in summer and then in winter you can go skiing or similar. I still love having water around though, so I guess a large mountain lake would be the best.
11. What’s on the top of your bucket list that you haven’t done yet?
Wow, another great question. We have so many bucket list plans that we would love to do, check out our full post here. However, if we had to choose one to be top of our list, we think it would have to be either experiencing zero gravity, for example in a Zero G plane or witnessing the Northern Lights in Norway.
Now we’d love to spread the love and nominate the following amazing and inspiration travel bloggers, who we think are wonderful up and coming travel bloggers too!
- The Travelling Mooseys (thetravellingmooseys.wordpress.com)
- Nico and Vicky first met each other at University, and since then they have never spent a day apart! They travel together and set up this awesome up and coming travel blog. When they’re not travelling they love fine food and drinks and are both huge Star Wars and Middle Earth fans!
- Nissy Adventures (nissyadventure.com)
- Issy and Nathan first started travelling when they were 19 and since then they’ve travelled to many countries from Cambodia all the way to Jamaica! They are a new and up coming couples travel blog, so make sure to check them out!
- Digital Travel Guru (www.digitaltravelguru.com)
- Is managed by Elizabeth Wanderlust, and is a great blog to follow their team of travelling Guru’s as they journey across the globe bringing you the full 360 travel experience! She also manages and created the awesome Facebook group – Bloggers Social Media Engagement, so if you haven’t joined yet I would highly recommend it!
- Annes Travelbooklet (www.annestravelbooklet.de)
- Anne is originally from Germany and at just 22 years old she has been to quite a few countries. She has always been a big travel fan but especially since she spent one year in New Zealand, her passion for travelling became real. Her up and coming travel blog is inspirational and wonderful if you speak German and English as it’s a blog for both speakers!
- Traveltomtom (https://www.traveltomtom.net)
- Born in the Netherlands, Traveltomtom has since visited a range of countries, from living in Aruba for 6 months to travelling his way around Asia! In 2013 alone he took 49 flights, with no plans to stop! Traveltomtom is widely known for his awesome and inspiring Instagram account, if you haven’t checked out his page we would highly recommend it!
- Live Travel Teach (https://www.livetravelteach.com).
- Mike is originally from New Jersey, with a profession in teaching. He decided to leave the big US of A and head to South Korea to continue his teaching career and join the expat community. He has a thirst for adventure and loves to write about his experiences, whilst taking breathtaking photographs!
- Bonvoyage Bitches (https://bonvoyagebitches.com)
- Growing up in the southern US of A, Tatum Skipper is a crazy and spontaneous girl who has a passion for travelling and exploring the world. She’s simply a girl who loves to experience life and write about those experiences through her own eyes, and teaching everyone that they do not have to settle for a mediocre life. Pretty awesome if you ask us!
Our questions for the nominees
- What is your favourite country you have visited, and why?
- Are you more of a camping person or a hotel person?
- If you were stuck on a deserted island and could only take 3 things, what would they be and why?
- What made you want to start a travel blog?
- How and when did you catch the ‘travel bug’?
- Which is your all time favourite hotel you have stayed in and why?
- If you could give one piece of advice to people wanting to travel, what would it be?
- What country have you got planned next, and why did you choose it?
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
- What’s your favourite mode of transport, e.g. plane, car, scooter etc?
- If you had to travel to a country purely for food, where would you go and why?
We are very much looking forward to all your answers! 🙂
Have you got Pinterest? Save it for later!